Chronological Resume Format 2022
Share This Article
Chronological resume format 2022 – When to use
When it comes to resume format, all the job seekers trying to understand what resume format would suit their needs most and which would help them to stand out from the mass of other candidates. But if you would ask them to name one of the formats they know – most probably they will say it’s chronological resume format. And as you already understood, today we would like to keep a bit more into a chronological resume and would try to answer all the questions. Maybe some of them you already know, and maybe some details will be useful for your resume.
So, before we will deep into details, let’s talk a bit about this type of resume. The chronological resume format – is the most used resume format in the US and mostly all around the world. It’s also known as the reverse-chronological resume format. And it’s not hard to understand why. Because its resume structure shows all your employment history in reverse chronological order. Beginning from the most recent employments and going backward. In the final result – you show all your career paths without any ability to hide some tricky things like employment gaps, career changes, marital leave, etc.
Hiring managers like Chronological resume 2022
Interesting fact or better say research – resume format hiring managers like the most is a reverse chronological resume format. How it could be explained? First of all, because this type of resume format is the most used, and secondly – because when a candidate uses this type of resume format, he/she provides HR with some (hard to be noticed by a job seeker) clues. They use such clues to understand if a candidate is interested in their company, or if it’s better to concentrate their attention on some other employers.
In writing a chronological resume, you are trying to follow common recommendations. That means that you will try to show all your previous places of work in chronological order. That means – it’s easy to understand what was your career path, how you managed some issues if you got some raises, or you decided to change your company (because of some reasons), or something else. That’s why a hiring manager would like to read a chronological resume, compared to other formats. But other formats have their own poses and cons, which will be shown below.
When a chronological resume 2022 could be tricky for you
If you are not a senior specialist with some 20 years of outstanding career path behind your back, with some awards and a brilliant cover letter..you have a bit fewer chances, compared with some guys/girls like that. And now we would like to save you from that bad moments, while a hiring manager is scanning your resume.
- High competition. Your main task here is to catch a hiring manager. And you need to do your best here. How you could do that? You have such resume sections as achievements section, summary sections, and cover letter. Use that to attract HR’s attention and interest them. After, if you will catch them, you have a great chance to get a call and be invited for an interview.
- They are looking for soft skills. There are some positions, most likely are they are managers positions when a hiring manager is looking for a candidate with well-developed soft skills. And if you didn’t place that skills in your resume, you will be the last in the “call to invite for the interview” queue.
TIP. It’s not a functional resume format, BUT you need to divide skills in your chronological resume into two groups: soft skills and hard skills. Doing that, more likely that they will be noticed by a HR.
Chronological resume 2022 format: Poses
Each resume format has its own pros and some candidates are trying to understand why they should use a certain format to highlight their strengths. That’s why we decided to provide you with a list, where you could easily understand if this resume format is right for you and whether it could only stand your candidacy out from a crowd of other job seekers.
WHY it’s a good idea to use this type of resume format
- All the hiring manager knows this type of resume format. Nobody would ask you to re-send a resume, using another structure. It’s well-known and it does not cause too many questions;
- It would be hard for you here to highlight your main specialization. The clear structure would only help you to do it even better, compared to other resume formats;
- You don’t need to explain what you did and what jobs you used to have. Clear career path from the fresh grad till the current time. Everything is in full view;
- It fits the most traditional spheres, where are some special requirements for the resume structure;
- Tell even more about the candidate, if there are some really well-known and huge companies in your career portfolio.
Chronological resume 2022 format: Cons
Depending on your level and some other circumstances, it’s not always a good idea to use a certain resume format. Even if your friends or ex-colleagues are using this type of resume format – it could not simply work for you. There are too many reasons WHY, and now we would like to share them with you, to protect you from the most common mistakes job seekers did in the past.
When it’s NOT a good idea to use this type of resume format
- You are always in the job searching process. You don’t have a stable job, you don’t like offices, and full-time jobs with a stable income – are not your option at all. You don’t have a so-called career path, and all you have are some good HARD skills.
- Employment gaps. You used to have some problems or circumstances, which you don’t want to explain and reflect on in your resume. But you will need to explain them. That’s one of the most liked HR questions during any interview process.
- Age. Using a reverse-chronological resume, you show everything. And it’s not a hard job to understand your age. So, if you are about to get retired, and looking for a job, it’s better to use another format.
You need to have a really outstanding career to use this format of resume. As it was already noticed, it has its own pros and cons, and only you could understand if it covers all your needs.
Who SHOULD USE chronological resume format 2022
To sum up, all the written above, now we would like to provide you a short list with our instructions for you, so you could understand if you are the one, who should use this resume.
Are you one of those guys below?
- An impressive career path with proven results;
- Measurable achievements, which are not under NDA, and you could share them with a hiring manager or your future employee;
- You have huge and respective companies in your portfolio;
- No sudden and unexplained downgrades;
- You are not looking for a temporary job, you need something stable.
We hope that our article helps you to understand all the secrets of chronological resume format and we do believe that it would help you somehow to land the job this year!
What is a good chronological resume format in 2022?
Have you ever seen how hiring managers scan resumes of the candidates, who applied for the vacant position? If not, you definitely should do it! According to the latest research, hiring manager need only 20 seconds to scan their resume from the top to the end to understand who you are and if it is worth contacting you before they would invite you for a job interview. If we’re talking about resumes, they should be outstanding, Today we’re going to talk about how to craft a winning chronological resume in 2022 and why this format is the most common nowadays.
Really winning chronological resume samples 2022
A good resume is not a key to success. If we’re talking about a really outstanding resume – it’s really important the way it’s going to be structured, positioning, resume keywords 2022, and many more. Let’s have a look at the best chronological resume samples 2022 and would understand the difference between the other resume formats 2022.
What differentiates the chronological resume from the other formats?
It’s a really good question and we’re going to answer a little bit deeper and highlight some key ideas,
It’s really important for a hiring manager to find out whose resume it is and how could they reach you. Remember to use some alternative e-mail addresses and add your LinkedIn profile.
Hiring managers don’t like candidates who are telling what they did. You are in a more winning position if you would tell the hiring manager what were your accomplishments. If you were a sales manager, write how much did you sell or how you increased some metrics. If you want to get hired, stop overwriting processes, and provide facts and numbers.
Provide your reader with concise information about your work history in reverse chronological format. You should include your company name, job title, and dates of your employment. Start from your current place of work.
So, if you’re looking for a good resume format – chronological is the best resume format for you! It’s easy to read and hiring managers really love it.