How to Write a Resume – Enhanced Guide 2022 (with Templates)
Share This Article
Doesn’t matter what you are going to do and how to get the job you are looking for this year, without a professional resume 2022 – you have much fewer chances to get employed! At the same time, you need to remember about the competition and how to win! That’s why you need to know how to be invited to an interview because only a good resume could help you to do that.
All the hiring managers often are looking for the same things, while scanning or reading a resume. We tried to include the most important details in our guide to making your life easier. Below, you will get some resume templates, which would help you to understand the right direction on what a good resume looks like in 2022.
Main parts of the best resume
What you will learn reading our resume 2022 Guide
- What is a good resume and how to make it professional?
- The main differences between CV and resume. How to pick a resume format and what are the KEY differences between them?
- Resume content. What to include and what is better to exclude.
- Some useful Resume Tips to write an outstanding resume.
Resume 2022 – Main Steps to writing it good
- Don’t try to invent something new. Get new resume examples, which were already created by professional resume writers.
- Outstanding resume templates. It’s really important to stand out from a crowd. You need to make your resume easy to remember.
- Contact information should be at the top of your resume. Don’t irritate hiring managers, try to search your phone number across the whole document.
- Outstanding cover letter. It’s not a secret, that sometimes it could make a more strong effect on HR’s decisions.
- Optimize your resume to an ATS. Target a CV to the desired position using specific keywords. They can be in a job ad, read it carefully.
- Achievements-based approach. Results are more valuable for hiring managers, than some information in a CV.
- Right formatting, Fonts, and colors should be chosen the right way. Easy to read – this is what you need to do with your resume.
- Don’t do the same mistakes as other candidates do. Proofread your resume, before you’re going to send it to a hiring manager.
You could see the main part of a good resume above. Now, we’re going to tell a bit more about each part of the resume and lighten other dark&white sides of resume writing.
Resume Or CV – What is the difference?
Resume – A brief summary of personal, educational, and professional experiences used by applicants to get a new job.
CV – A Curriculum Vitae (CV) is a detailed summary of professional and educational histories. In other words, it’s a more extended resume with more details inside.
Resume vs CV: What is the difference
When it comes to resume writing, a lot of different job seekers face the same question – to write a resume OR to write a curriculum vitae. Funny to realize, that not all the candidates could even mane you the main differences between these two definitions.
Don’t listen to those hiring managers or people, who are going to tell you, that CV and Resume are almost the same things. They are different in their structure, length, and amount of details, which are included in a document. A resume template is more concise and includes fewer details compared to a CV. It does not require such information as education section, achievements, and experience. A CV is a much more detailed version of a resume.
Below, we tried to show you some resume and CV examples. It’s not a rule to recognize each format, it’s more like to understand the main differences in document structures.
Resume Format – Which one to use
Different Resume Format Templates
There are many different resume formats, that each of us could use in different situations. Still, there are three main resume formats widely used nowadays: chronological, functional, and combination. Each of them has its own strengths and weaknesses. Now, we’re going to tell you some words about each of them above.
Most Common Resume Formats
- Chronological resume format – one of the most used resume templates in the US. Tons of different job seekers widely use this type of resume format, don’t even expect that they are using a chronological resume. It’s the best option for those candidates, who has a solid background and level of expertise. A good solution for experienced personalities.
- Functional resume format – not the best option for experienced candidates, but outstanding for those candidates, whose skills are their main asset. Using this type of resume, you are concentrating all HR’s attention on your skills.
- Combination resume format –as you have already understood, this resume format is a kind of mixed functional and chronological resume.
Resume Layout 2022 – Important Details
Each resume is somehow like a marketing document. You are trying to sell your candidacy to other people, who are ready to pay for your skills. Due to these reasons, it’s really important to impress your reader. Impress – to provide a clear and easy-to-read resume. When we’re talking about “easiness” and “attractiveness”- it’s about resume layout.
Below, we decided to keep the most important things together, which will be important to resume owners in terms of layout.
Resume Layout Attributes
1. One-page resume. Don’t try to make it as long as possible. Keep it concise and easy to read.
2. Formatting attributes (bullet points, headings, and colored sections)
3. Resume font (don’t try to use something, which will be not possible to read)
4. White spaces are too huge. Avoid them, while you will format your document.
Content of Resume – What to include
Each resume is a structured document, which includes different sections or blocks. Each resume section has its own place, depending on the format of the resume you decided to choose. Below, we’re going to share with you the most common resume sections, which are better to include in your document.
What resume sections should be included:
- Contact information (high priority)
- Summary block. (optional. Depends on position)
- Job Title (high priority)
- Work Experience (high priority)
- Skills section (middle priority. Depends on resume format)
- Accomplishments (high priority. Depends on resume format)
- Hobbies (low priority)
- Awards (low priority)
- References (exclude from resume)
This is the list of the most common section in your CV. Also, this list could vary based on the resume template and format you will use.
Resume Summary vs. Objective
There are some resume trends, which could help you to keep your resume updated and follow the latest resume writing approaches. According to the current situation, you need to remember that resume objective is not so popular nowadays.
Why is a resume summary more effective?
Resume summary. It’s like a small snapshot of skills and experience you have, where you need to include a couple of sentences with key information. A summary is much more effective way to show information about your candidacy. You will add the most relevant and important information into one place, where an experienced hiring manager could easily understand who you are.
Contact information – What should be there
There are no strict rules on what should you include in your contact information section, BUT we would like to help you avoid the most common mistakes other job seekers did. So, have a look at already prepared TO DO and TO AVOID blocks.
Include your First Name, Last Name, email address, and city you currently live in.
Social Profiles. Include them in your resume. LinkedIn or Twitter profiles could be really useful for some hiring managers.
Avoid using the corporate email addresses or unprofessional email addresses
Include age, sex, marital status, or any other gender relative info
Experience section – how to list and what to include
The experience section is one of the most important blocks in your resume. Almost all hiring managers are scanning this information briefly while doing a resume scanning process. You need to pay enough attention here. The best way to tell about your experience is to place it into small sentences using bullet points.
Strength your experience using achievements. It’s the best solution to enhance your chances to get the job convincing the hiring manager, that you are the right one candidate. Overwriting your experience, don’t try to include everything. Only the most important to the reader’s information.
HOW TO – BOOST YOUR JOB SEARCH CHANCES
ONE RESUME – ONE POSITION! Stop doing the same mistake again and again. You need to tailor your resumes for the different positions you are looking for. By doing that, you are simply increasing your chances to get the desired position. Creating a more relevant hiring manager resume – you provide more value for them. As result, they will see a more targeted resume, which is more interesting for them, even if you are not the best candidate. Target your resume and you will see what effect it could bring to you.
BE CONCISE. You don’t have a lot of space when it comes to resume writing. There is not much space to include almost everything. You have a one-page resume and you need rigorously follow one rule. What is the rule? Include only the most valuable information for hiring managers. If you don’t know, whether the information is important – that means, that you’d better exclude it from your resume.
SHOW RESULTS INSTEAD PROCESSES. Hiring managers are not always can be those people, who could 100% understand how good you are in a specific area. It’s not a bad thing to help them understand your value. How to do that? It’s simple – show them measurable and easy-to-understand proven results. Below, we tried to share some good samples of how achievements can be presented in your resume.
Below you would find some good samples:
- Defined and improved some KPIs on XX%
- Efficiently managed X people, who brought Y results
- Reached Z goals when running Y activities
And so on. The main goal here is to help the recruiter to understand not what you did, but what goals you have reached.
14 Things to write a winning resume in 2022
It’s not a problem to be in the “trash” pile if we’re talking about a resume that you have already sent to a hiring manager, but you need to bring more effort to be in the “yes” pile. The main question here is: What should you do to attract readers’ attention and catch them? Is that possible? Yes – it’s really possible and we have prepared some useful tips for you, which would help you to land the job! We have already talked about some resume tips before, but today we June to pay more attention to this question.
7 seconds – time to win!
What do you know about 7 seconds? Nothing special, but it’s an average time hiring manager needs to scan your resume to understand whether you could cope with that job or not. If you want to win the competition, you should let the hiring manager find information easily and your perfect resume format.
ATS – optimize or lose
Applicant tracking system – it’s like a filter, which helps the hiring manager to sort candidates. Each filter has its own vulnerability – and in our case, we’re talking about the right keywords you should use to win the competition. Do not overstuff your resume, but remember to add some variants of different keywords or use synonyms.
Cover letter – key to HR heart
Hey, what do you know about outstanding cover letter 2022? Do you know that over 60% of recruiters are really inspired by the cover letters, written by candidates? The most interesting thing – another part (the main one) is, a candidate’s resume is nothing after a well-written resume. Think about it and try to write an outstanding cover letter in 2022.
Resume keywords 2022 – Avoid stuffing
Try to balance keyword staffing and real quality resume. Stuffing your resume you would win ATS, but remember – your main goal is to let the hiring manager read your resume. Once your reader would try to read only keywords included in your resume, it would automatically be forwarded to the trash pile. We think it’s not your main goal. Be smart – write for people.
Career objective – sounds from the ’90s
Objectives – it’s like old-style fashion, it could be, but nobody will be impressed. Remember, you have just 7 seconds to impress your reader and you need to let the hiring manager spend it smartly. How? Try to write a career summary or relevant experience in just 2-3 sentences to highlight your main skills and achievements. It would help your reader to understand who you are and if you could bring value to them.
How could they reach you?
The most common mistake – your resume is awesome, but recruiters can’t find your contact information. Why? Because you place it somewhere in the footer, or you even forgot to add it. Remember – contact information should be near your Last name and First name, so if HR need to clarify some information, they could easily reach you by phone. Please, don’t use stupid e-mail addresses – up to 20% of HR are irritated when they see such stupid address names like “email@example.com”, applying to executive positions.
CV or Resume in 2022
Some people say that there is no reason between a cv and a resume. In some cases they are right, but still, there are some differences between cv 2022 and a professional resume. The main difference is – CVs are wider and contain your employment history, accomplishments, and references. Standard resume 2022 is a concise document, which only highlights basic information about your skills and employment history. CVs are commonly used in the UK.
If you want to highlight your resume compared with some other candidates, it’s time to show your education level. And you have a really good chance to win if you would place your education at the top of your resume. Remember to add show any honors or accomplishments or GPA if any. Remember – ATS is looking for the education field.
Hiring managers receive tons of resumes daily, and it’s really important to help them to find your resume from the mass. Using the right file name of your resume file, would not only save HR’s time but would increase your chances to get this job. Don’t use file names like “last updated resume 2022” or “resume 2022 last edition”. The right resume file name is “Sam Taylor resume executive director”
Creative or easy-to-read font
Stop using creative or hard-to-read font, unless you’re a designer and trying to wow the hiring manager with your non-standard approach to resume template making. Use easy-to-read Verdana or Times New Roman fonts. Using some creative fonts could not be supported by Word on the local HR machine.
Employment Gaps – hide or not
Stop trying to hide employment gaps from your potential employer. Instead of doing that, try to explain it with some adequate reasons. The best way to do that is to tell about that in your cover letter. Don’t be a writer here, be concise and explain in 2-3 sentences.
References – to be deleted
“References available upon request” – a good thing for an unprofessionally written resume in the ’90s. What do you know about reference letters? If nothing, just avoid using this phrase in your resume. If your reader would need to check any information about you, they would ask you to provide references and would call them.
Hard Skills in resume 2022
When we’re talking about hard skills – we’re talking about something, better say skills which we could measure and understand how good you are there. For example “Adobe Photoshop” – it’s a hard skill because we can assess how good you are in photo editing or in smth else. Use hard skills to show your professional skills in your resume. Most commonly used in functional resume template.
Soft Skills in resume 2022
Soft skills – team player, confident, problem-solving, and so on. Skills, which are really hard to measure. Most commonly – they describe your attitude to work and highlight your working approach.
Follow application instructions
Before applying to a specific position, be sure you have read the job description twice and that you 100% follow all instructions. If you don’t know smth or you’re not sure about some details, just read one more time. Hiring managers are really strict with candidates, who ignored the instruction list if any.
Boost your job search, and develop an outstanding LinkedIn profile. It’s like standard stuff you should do if we’re talking about professional development and positioning yourself like a professional specialist. Create it, or you will miss potential opportunities to land a good job. Remember – hiring managers are using LinkedIn as an additional channel for hiring or hunting employers. Do you want to be one of the candidates who land the job via LinkedIn in 2022? If yes – start crafting your profile and start growing your network.
Achievements instead of processes
Nowadays, nobody cares how well you managed processes, if we’re talking about successful candidates’ resumes, must have things – achievements. Show your approach and KPIs. HRs are looking for people who DO, instead of people who “control the process”. Highlight your accomplishments with some numbers or facts, to show how well you are and what exact value you did bring to your ex-employer.
The creative Resume writing approach
We know how important to attract a hiring manager’s attention and we know there are tons of ways to do that, but the best one – is a creative resume template, which would stand out from the mass and show your approach. But be ready for some negative feedback, if HRs are from the 90s and not really sure about non-traditional resume format even in 2022.
Empty spaces – better to read
Help HR to scan your resume fast and catch all the necessary information out there. Do not place too much information, without any formatting, so your resume is not possible to read, moreover to understand what you did and what were your main achievements. Use margins or bullets to make the right visual appeal.
A one-page resume or more
If you faced a problem when you can’t place all the information on one page, use the one-page resume format 2022. Try to not limit yourself. Use a two-page resume format. Why? Read here how to format a resume in 2022. Because ATS doesn’t care about how many symbols your resume contains. And if you will not include some keywords, it would be your problem, not smbd else. You would miss your chances to be considered for the vacant position.
Resume Format to choose
Crafting your resume, it’s a good idea to define the resume format you would like to use and how you’re going to write your resume. What format to pick is up to you, but the right resume format 2022 could not only help to hide your gaps but even could help you to highlight your strengths.
- Chronological resume format 2022
- Functional resume format 2022
- Standard resume format 2022
- Creative resume format 2022
Choose the best resume format to outstand from the crowd.
A generic resume is not the best choice in 2022. If you would like to apply for the position and looking forward to hearing from the hiring manager – you should use a tailored resume. Tailor your resume for the position you would like to apply for. Over 67% of job offers are done after HR’s read the well-tailored resume.
Grammar mistakes or typos
Want totally kill your chances to be invited for an interview – just submit your resume without proofreading and let HR find some typos or grammar mistakes. You would find your resume in the trash pile in seconds.
The Last MILE. Check everything before SUBMIT
- Passive tense – Past Position. Present – for Current. Remember to use this rule, when you are proofreading your resume. Proofread it once again and check if everything is correct.
- Keywords. Remember to check if you have used any keywords in your resume. It’s important to do because you need to optimize a resume for an ATS system. If you will do that, you would have much more chances.
- Slang. Some companies are using their specific slang for more easy communication with each other. Do you have that in your resume? If yes, you need to rephrase such words into more clear definitions or words.
- Do not personalize everything. Personal pronouns are very tricky. Avoid using I, me, my, and so on. You are not the only one in that company, who achieved all results.
- Easy to read. Ask other people to do a recruiter’s test. Let other people scan your resume for 6 seconds. After such an interesting activity, they need to tell you your job title, personal data, and what was the last position you obtained.
- How do you name the file? Create an easy-to-understand and remember the name of the file. Do not use weird names. The best you could do it – First + Last Name.
- Could your friend or colleague proofread it? We already knew that resume is a too personal thing. Still, writing or crafting it for a long time could be hard. You can simply lose some important details. So, it’s a good idea to ask somebody to proofread your CV.