Doesn’t matter what you are going to do and how to get a job you are looking for this year, without a professional resume 2022 – you have much less chances to get employed! At the same time, you need to remember about a competition and how to win! That’s why, you need to know how to be invited to an interview, because only a good resume could help you to do that.
All the hiring managers often are looking for the same things, while scanning or reading a resume. We tried to include the most important details to our guide to make your life easier. Below, you will get some resume templates, which would help you to understand the right direction on how a good resume looks like in 2022.
Main parts of the best resume
What you will learn reading our resume 2022 Guide
- What is good resume and how to make it professional.
- The main differences between CV and resume.
- How to pick a resume format and what are KEY differences between them.
- Resume content. What to include and what is better to exclude.
- Some useful Resume Tips to write an outstanding resume.
Resume 2022 – Main Steps to write it good
- Don’t try to invent something new. Get new resume examples, which were already created by a professional resume writers.
- Outstanding resume templates. It’s really important to stand out from a crowd. You need to make your resume easy to remember.
- Contact information should be at the top of your resume. Don’t irritate hiring managers, trying to search your phone number across the whole document.
- Outstanding cover letter. It’s not a secret, that sometimes it could make more strong effect on HR’s decisions.
- Optimize your resume to an ATS. Target a CV to the desired position using specific keywords. They can be in a job ad, read it carefully.
- Achievements-based approach. Results are more valuable for hiring managers, than some information in CV.
- Right formatting, Fonts and colors should be chosen the right way. Easy to read – this is what you need to do with your resume.
- Don’t do the same mistakes as other candidates do. Proofread your resume, before you’re going to send it to a hiring manager.
You could see the main part of a good resume above. Now, we’re going to tell a bit more about each part of resume and lighten other dark&white sides of resume writing.
Resume Or CV – What is the difference?
Resume – A brief summary of personal, educational, professional experiences used by applicants to get a new job.
CV – A Curriculum Vitae (CV) is a detailed summary of professional and educational histories. In other words, it’s more extended resume with more details inside.
Resume vs CV: What is the difference
When it comes to a resume writing, a lot of different job seekers face the same question – to write a resume OR to write a curriculum vitae. Funny to realize, that not all the candidates could even mane you the main differences between these two definitions.
Don’t listen to those hiring managers or people, who are going to tell you, that CV and Resume are almost the same things. They are different in their structure, length and amount of details, which are included into a document. A resume template is more concise and includes less details compared to a CV. It does not require such information like education section, achievements and experience. CV is much more detailed version of a resume.
Below, we tried to show you some resume and CV examples. It’s not a rule to recognize each format, it’s more like to understand the main differences in document structures.
Resume Format – Which one to use
Different Resume Format Templates
There are many different resume formats, where each of us could use in different situations. Still, there are three main resume formats widely used nowadays: chronological, functional and combination. Each of them has it’s own strengths and weaknesses. Now, we’re going to tell you some words about each of them above.
Most Common Resume Formats
- Chronological resume format – the one of the most used resume template in US. Tons of different job seekers widely using this type of resume format, don’t even expecting that they are using chronological resume. It’s the best option for those candidates, who has a solid background and level of expertise. Good solution for experienced personalities.
- Functional resume format – not the best option for experienced candidates, but outstanding for those candidates, whose skills is their main asset. Using this type of resume, you are concentration all HR’s attention on your skills.
- Combination resume format –as you have already understood, this resume format is kind of mixed functional and chronological resumes.
Resume Layout 2022 – Important Details
Each resume is somehow like a marketing document. You are trying to sell your candidacy to other people, who are ready to pay for your skills. Due to these reasons, it’s really important to impress your reader. Impress – to provide a clear and easy to read resume. When we’re talking about “easiness” and “attractiveness”- it’s about resume layout.
Below, we decided to keep the most important things together, which will be important to resume owners in terms of layout.
Resume Layout Attributes
1. One page resume. Don’t try to make it as long as possible. Keep it concise and easy to read.
2. Formatting attributes (bullet points, headings and colored sections)
3. Resume font (don’t try to use something, which will be not possible to read)
4. White spaces are too huge. Avoid them, while you will format your document.
Content of Resume – What to include
Each resume is a structured document, which includes different sections or blocks. Each resume section has its own place, depends on format of resume you decided to chose. Below, we’re going to share with you the most common resume sections, which are better to include to your document.
What resume sections should be included:
- Contact information (high priority)
- Summary block. (optional. Depends on position)
- Job Title (high priority)
- Work Experience (high priority)
- Skills section (middle priority. Depends on resume format)
- Accomplishments (high priority. Depends on resume format)
- Hobbies (low priority)
- Awards (low priority)
- References (exclude from resume)
This is the list of the most common section in your CV. Also, this list could vary based on resume template and format you will use.
Resume Summary vs. Objective
There are some resume trends, which could help you to keep your resume updated and follow the latest resume writing approaches. According to the current situation, you need to remember that resume objective is not so popular nowadays.
Why a resume summary more effective?
Resume summary. It’s like a small snapshot of skills and experience you have, where you need to include a couple of sentences with a key information. Summary is much more effective way to show information about your candidacy. You will add the most relevant and important information into one place, where an experienced hiring manager could easily understand who you are.
Contact information – What should be there
There are no strict rules on what should you include to your contact information section, BUT we would like to help you avoid the most common mistakes other job seekers did. So, have a look on already prepared TO DO an TO AVOID blocks.
Include your First Name, Last Name, email address and city you are currently live in.
Social Profiles. Include them to your resume. LinkedIn or Twitter profile could be really useful for some hiring managers.
Avoid using corporate email address or unprofessional email address
Include age, sex, marital status or any other gender relative info
Experience section – how to list and what to include
Experience section is one of the most important blocks in your resume. Almost all hiring managers are scanning this information briefly, while doing a resume scanning process. You need to pay enough attention here. The best way to tell about your experience is to place it into small sentences using bullet points.
Strength your experience using achievements. It’s the best solutions to enhance your chances to get the job convincing hiring manager, that you are the right one candidate. Overwriting your experience, don’t try to include everything. Only the most important to reader’s information.
HOW TO – BOOST YOU JOB SEARCH CHANCES
ONE RESUME – ONE POSITION! Stop doing the same mistake again and again. You need to tailor your resumes for different positions you are looking for. Doing that, you are simply increasing your chances to get the desired position. Creating more relevant for hiring manager resume – you provide more value for them. In result, they will see a more targeted resume, which is more interesting for them, even you are not the best candidate. Target your resume and you will see what effect it could bring to you.
BE CONCISE. You don’t have a lot of space when it comes to a resume writing. There is no much space to include almost everything. You have one-page resume and you need rigorously follow one rule. What is the rule? Include only the most valuable information for hiring managers. If you don’t know, whether the information is important – that means, that you’d better to exclude it from your resume.
SHOW RESULTS INSTEAD PROCESSES. Hiring managers are not always can be those people, who could 100% understand how good you are in a specific area. It’s not bad thing to help them understand your value. How to do that? It’s simple – show them measurable and easy to understand proven results. Below, we tried to share some good samples on how achievements can be presented in your resume.
Below you would find some good samples:
- Defined and improved some KPI’s on XX%
- Efficiently managed X people, who brought Y results
- Reached Z goals when run Y activities
And so on. The main goal here is to help recruiter to understand not what you did, but what goals you have reached.
14 Things to write a winning resume in 2022
It’s not a problem to be in “trash” pile if we’re talking about resume which you have already sent to a hiring manager, but you need to bring more efforts to be in “yes” pile. The main question here is: What should you do to attract readers attention and catch them? Is that possible? Yes – it’s really possible and we have prepared some useful tips for you, which would help you to land the job! We have already talked about some resume tips before, but today we Junide to pay more attention to this question.
7 seconds – time to win!
What do you know about 7 seconds? Nothing special, but it’s an average time hiring manager need to scan your resume to understand whether you could cope with that job or not. If you want to win the competition, you should let hiring manager to find information easily and you perfect resume format.
ATS – optimize or lose
Applicant tracking system – it’s like a filter, which help hiring manager to sort candidates. Each filter has it’s own vulnerability – and in our case we’re talking about right keywords you should use to win the competition. Do not overstaff your resume, but remember to add some variants of different keywords or use synonyms.
Cover letter – key to HR heart
Hey, what do you know about outstanding cover letter 2022? Do you know that over 60% of recruiters are really inspired by the cover letters, written by candidates. The most interesting thing – other part (the main one), candidates resume is nothing after well-written resume. Think about it and try to write an outstanding cover letter in 2022.
Resume keywords 2022 – Avoid stuffing
Try to balance between keyword staffing and real quality resume. Stuffing your resume you would win ATS, but remember – your main goal to let hiring manager read your resume. An once your reader would try to read only keywords included to your resume, it would automatically be forwarded to trash pile. We think it’s not your main goal. Be smart – write for people.
Career objective – sounds from 90’s
Objectives – it’s like old style fashion, it could be, but nobody will be impressed. Remember, you have just 7 seconds to impress your reader and you need to let hiring manager to spend it smart. How? Try to write career summary or relevant experience in just 2-3 sentences to highlight your main skills and achievements. It would help your reader to understand who you are and if you you could bring value to them.
How could they reach you
The most common mistake – your resume is awesome, but recruiters cant find your contact information. Why? Because you place it somewhere in the footer, or you even forgot to add it. Remember – contact information should be near your Last name and First name, so if HR need to clarify some information, they could easily reach you by the phone. Please, don’t use stupid e-mail address – up to 20% HR irritates, when they see such stupid adress names like “email@example.com”, applying to executive position.
CV or Resume in 2022
Some people say that there are no reason between cv and resume. In some cases they are right, but still, there are some differences between cv 2022 and professional resume. The main difference is – CV are more wide and contain your employment history, accomplishments and references. Standard resume 2022 is a concise document, which only highlight basic information about your skills and employment history. CV are commonly used in UK.
If you want to highlight your resume compared with some other candidates, it’s time to show your education level. And you have really good chances to win, if you would place you education at the top of the resume. Remember to add show any honors or accomplishments or GPA if any. Remember – ATS are looking for education field.
Hiring manager receive tons of resume daily, and it’s really important to help them out to find your resume from the mass. Using right file name of your resume file, you would not only save HR’s time, but would increase your chances to get this job. Dont use file name like “last updated resume 2022” or “resume 2022 last edition”. Right resume file name is “Sam Taylor resume executive director”
Creative or easy to read font
Stop using creative or hard to read font, unless you’re designer and trying to wow hiring manager with you non-standard approach in resume template making. Use easy to read verdana or times new roman fonts. Using some creative fonts could not be supported by Word on local HR’s machine.
Employment Gaps – hide or not
Stop trying to hide employment gaps from your potential employer. Instead of doing that, try to explain it with some adequate reasons. The best way to do that is to tell about that in your cover letter. Don’t be a writer here, be concise and explain in 2-3 sentences.
References – to be deleted
“References available upon request” – good thing for unprofessionally written resume in 90’s. What do you know about reference letter? If nothing, just avoid to use this phrase in your resume. If your reader would need to check any information about you, they would ask you to provide references and would call them.
Hard Skills in resume 2022
When we’re talking about hard skills – we’re talking about something, better say skills which we could measure and understand how good you are there. For example “Adobe Photoshop” – it’s a hard skill, because we can assess how good you are in photo editing or in smth else. Use hard skills to show your professional skills in your resume. Most commonly used in functional resume template.
Soft Skills in resume 2022
Soft skills – team player, confident, problem solving and so on. Skills, which are really hard to measure. Most commonly – they describe you attitude to works and highlight your working approach.
Follow application instructions
Before applying to specific position, be sure you have read job description twice and you 100% follow all instructions. If you don’t know smth or you’re not sure on some details, just read one more time. Hiring managers are really strict to candidates, who ignored instruction list if any.
Boost your job search, develop an outstanding linkedIn profile. It’s like a standard stuff you should do if we’re talking about professional development and positioning yourself like a professional specialist. Create it, or you will miss potential opportunities to land a good job. Remember – hiring managers are using LinkedIn as an additional channel for hiring or hunting employers. Do you want to be one of the candidates who land the job via LinkedIn in 2022? If yes – start crafting your profile and start growing your network.
Achievements instead of processes
Nowadays, nobody cares how well you managed processes, if we’re talking about successful candidates resumes, must have things – achievements. Show your approach and KPIs. HR’s are looking for people who DO, instead of people who “control process”. Highlight your accomplishments with some numbers or facts, to show how well you are and what exact value you did bring to your ex employer.
Creative Resume writing approach
We know how important to attract hiring manager’s attention and we know there are tons of ways to do that, but the best one – creative resume template, which would stand out from the mass and show you approach. But be ready for some negative feedback, if HR’s are from 90’s and not really sure about non-traditional resume format even in 2022.
Empty spaces – better to read
Help HR to scan your resume fast and catch all the necessary information out of there. Do not place too much information, without any formatting, so your resume is not possible to read, moreover to understand what you did and what were your main achievements. Use margins or bullets to make the right visual appeal.
One page resume or more
If you faced the problem when you can’t place all the information at one page, using one-page resume format 2022. Try to not limit yourself. Use two-page resume format. Why? Read hear how to format resume in 2022. Because ATS doesn’t care about how many symbols does your resume contains. And if you will not include some keywords, it would be your problems, not smbd else. You would miss your chances to be considered for vacant position.
Resume Format to choose
Crafting your resume, it’s a good idea to define resume format you would like to use and how you’re going to write your resume. What format to pick is up to you, but the right resume format 2022 could not only help to hide your gaps, but even could help you to highlight your strengths.
- Chronological resume format 2022
- Functional resume format 2022
- Standard resume format 2022
- Creative resume format 2022
Choose the best resume format to outstand from the crowd.
Generic resume is not the best choice in 2022. If you would like to apply for the position and looking forward to hear from hiring manager – you should use tailored resume. Tailor your resume for the position you would like to apply. Over 67% of job offers done after HR’s read well-tailored resume.
Grammar mistakes or typos
Want totally kill your chances to be invited for an interview – just submit your resume without proofreading and let HR to find some typos or grammar mistakes. You would find your resume in trash pile in seconds.
The Last MILE. Check everything before SUBMIT
- Passive tense – Past Position. Present – for Current. Remember to use this rule, when you are proofreading your resume. Proofread it once again and check if everything is correct.
- Keywords. Remember to check if you have used any keywords in your resume. It’s important to do, because you need to optimize a resume for an ATS systems. If you will do that, you would have much more chances.
- Slang. Some companies are using their specific slang for more easy communication between each other. Do you have that in your resume? If yes, you need to rephrase such words into more clear definitions or words.
- Do not personalize everything. Personal pronouns are very tricky. Avoid using I, me, my and so on. You are not the only one it that company, who achieved all results.
- Easy to read. Ask other people to do a recruiters test. Let other people to scan your resume for 6 seconds. After such an interesting activity, they need to tell you job title, personal data and what was the last position you obtained.
- How you named the file. Create an easy to understand and remember name of the file. Do not use some weird names. The best you could do it – First + Last Name.
- Could your friend or colleague proofread. We already knew, that resume is too personal thing. Still, writing or crafting it during a long time could be hard. You can simply lose some important details. So, it’s a good idea to ask somebody to proofread your CV.